Making smarter decisions when using our vehicles helps to reduce our carbon footprint and the effect our vehicles have on the environment. When walking, biking or using public transport is not an option, consider these driving tips to lower the impact your vehicle usage has on the environment.
1. Maintain steady speeds and use cruise control where possible. Ensure braking and acceleration are applied gently. Utilise the function on Google Maps to plan the greenest route possible, with the maps optimising the latest data on traffic and road usage in the area.
2. Carrying extra weight in your vehicle equals more fuel consumption, so remove excess weight from your vehicle to reduce fuel usage.
3. Tyre pressure affects fuel consumption and increases mileage. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure, using the manufacturer’s guidance.
4. An idle engine is the biggest way to waste fuel without driving anywhere. Ensure the engine is switched off as soon as you are stationary.
5. Keep your vehicle in good condition with regular maintenance and servicing. This ensures faults are identified before they become problematic.
Hybrid vehicles are a great way to reduce your carbon footprint by using a combination of fuel and electric power. You can arrange to hire one of these vehicles from a car leasing agency to establish whether they would meet your vehicle usage needs.
If you do not require the use of a vehicle on a frequent basis, car leasing is also a great and affordable option for short-term use. For car leasing Bristol and the surrounding area, visit a specialist such as https://www.autolyne.co.uk/car-leasing-near-me/bristol.
It is estimated that road transport accounts for 20 per cent of all emissions. This makes it one of the biggest contributors to air pollution, especially in densely populated areas.
Driving smarter helps to not only reduce the environmental impact of your vehicle usage but also to save you money by reducing your fuel consumption; what’s more, it can make your journey as smooth and comfortable as possible.